Saturday 15 August 2009

FRIDAY & SATURDAY FUN

FRIDAY
Friday was going to be a sunny day.
As we had the day free we thought we
would catch the ferry from Sorrento to Queenscliff.
If you look at the map below we live near where it says
Mornington on the right hand side of the map.
We drove to Sorrento ,left the car there and got on the
ferry for the 40 minute trip across the bay to Queenscliff.

When we got to Queenscliff we were able to get off the ferry
once the cars had driven off.
We walked into Queenscliff and went for a wander.

Love the look of the Vue Grand Hotel
It apparently also has a great B & B and is a wedding venue
Click the link if you want to know more
I loved this 1888 Church.
It is now a restaurant
The door was very weatherbeaten

This 1868 wesley Church is now a book store


Wandering through the streets we saw homes in all
sorts of condition. This beauty was awaiting restoration


This spot was perfect for a morning snack break

We walked for ages and saw some beautiful old homes and gardens

Lots of trees in full bud just waiting for Spring 1st September

Time to put our feet up and enjoy the view while we had
a picnic lunch
We could have sat on this bench seat and had a
snooze in the warmth of the Winter sun

Don't you just love the arches on this building

We left Queenscliff on the 2pm ferry

At 2.40pm we reached Sorrento

Once we got off the ferry we went and had a Chai Tea in Sorrento

Next stop was Martha Cove so as we could have another walk.
Crazy, I know - as if we hadn't walked enough.
Over 3 hours of wandering through the streets
of Queenscliff should have been enough
There is a fabulous boardwalk at Martha Cove

The water was so still
So that was our Friday

SATURDAY
Another wonderful Winter's day saw us going to
watch our son Daniel play football for Dromana
Here is a photo Max took of Daniel today
He is the gorgeous one in the white shorts
My daughter Melanie brought her children
Lachlan and Chloe to watch Daniel play football
and my younger daughter Amy brought Riley to watch too
Don't you love the way they watched the game

There was a game of football going on behind them
but they had more fun playing with Riley's toys
in a lovely heap of dirt.

Hope your weekend is as much fun for you as
it has been so far for my three
grandchildren

27 comments:

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

Thank you for taking me there! The map really helped. Glad you had a wonderful time. The old buildings are beautiful.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Do you have blisters on your feet! I would have, from all that walking. Keeps you young.
Brenda

Gail McCormack said...

Hi Alison

I'm envious! Haven't been over to Queenscliff for ages, your photos will have to keep me content for now.

Bad luck about the footy, I think one more chance next week and that's it? Or maybe Daniel was in a different team

Keep dry

Connie said...

Ooooh, Alison, the last time we were on a ferry up in Washington state 2 years ago I got lost and had to stand up at the "exit" and jump in the car when they pulled up! I have a terrible sense of direction sometimes and thank goodness I had my cell phone or I might still be wandering that ferry, sugar. *Sigh*..........
Of course, they laughed themselves silly......brats......hubby and kids and grandkids.........
xoxo,
Connie

Lori said...

Hi Alison
Lovely trip. I'm just curious why the churches closed? I wonder what the inside of the church restaurant looks like? Was it cold? Later, dear, Lori

LiLi M. said...

Lovely post Alison! I especially like the football match watchers part! 'Yeah they love football, they watch it every weekend!" Hahaha! I love to see kids doing their game no matter what! Have a nice Sunday whatever is left of it in your part of the world!

vicki archer said...

What a gorgeous day Alison...I think eating your fish and chips on that bench with that view would have been heavenly. The children obviously had a wonderful time watching the game....xv

Lori said...

i can tell the little ones really love their football...LOL...what a beautiful day...all of your pictures are so lovely Alison...the old buildings there are gorgeous!!!

Petit Coterie said...

What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday. Loved all your photos, thank you for sharing.

Michelle

Sherry said...

Those old churches and buildings are beautiful! Your grandkids look like their having a blast.

Have a great weekend!

Sherry

bluemuf said...

What an absolutely wonderful weekend you had. I so enjoyed seeing all those beautiful buildings.

Hugs Karen

Andrea said...

I love all the old buildings, i don't get out much so this was great to go somewhere I've never been! I love to sight see!

Antique Rose Designs said...

Hi Alison Queenscliffe is gorgeous haven't been there for over 5 years I think I might have to take the kids on the ferry next time we go to our beachhouse they will love it. Take care Carol

Sugar Bear said...

Feel like I'm right there with you! I love the revamped churches - they must be pretty inside.
Karla

d.Sharp said...

so lovely! I always appreciate the architecture of churches.

Adeline Country Cottage said...

Looks like you both Had such a wonderful romantic day.....I my self love Queenscliff... thats where hubby and I always went for a romantic weekend away, I think we have only gone back there 2 or 3times with our cherubs, just beautiful.

And kids will always be distracted away from anything as long as they have sand and toys....lol.

Thanks for poping over and kind words.

Hugs
Kirstie.

roseroomnz.com said...

I do love your outings Alison! How about that little Riley, not so little now! Rachaelxo

Cindy said...

Love the old church and the water looks just so lovely!

-c
yapping cat

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

What a fun trip! Thank you for taking us along. I love the bookstore building...totally fabuluous. Your adorable grandchildren are soooo lucky to have YOU for a grand mummy!!

xx
becky

Laura said...

What a lovely get away. You are quite the walker.

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

Hiya Alison,

Wow it looks like you guys just had the perfect weekend. I love all the old buildings, especially the old church/book store. How gorgeous is that!
And i love the pics of your feet relaxing up on the hill. So fun!

Hugs,
Shann :)

Natasha Burns said...

What a fun relaxing time you had even with all that walking! I love Queenscliff, we used to go there lots but haven't been there for ages! My in-laws had a bus that was converted into a campervan type thing down at their caravan park and we spent one Christmas day down there, it's so beautiful! Have you ever been to the market down there?

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

I hope you don't mind that I've used your lovely seaglass picture today (8/19) @ A Beach Lovers Place.

Pearl Maple said...

Great collection of photos to take all the bloggers on tour with you across the bay. Queenscliffe is a delightful town, we visited there often when we lived in Melbourne. You are so lucky to be able to pop across for an afternoon.

Rosemary said...

Hi Alison,
Beautiful photos!!!
Thanks for visitng me.
Chat soon,
Rosemary

shabbyscraps said...

When we recently went to Australia, we went to sorrento, it was one of my favorite places on the trip!!
Poor starfish..
xoxo, Tiffany

Toddler Lesson Plans said...

Nice and beautiful posting.....Thanks for sharing, I like this. Playing Printable Toddler Crafts